Thursday, April 23, 2009

two reasons to celebrate

It was 15 years ago today that I met this beautiful blond with great legs who loved Jesus and who – 23 months later – would become my bride. And if you can believe it, there is an even greater reason why I’m celebrating today.

One hour ago, we were all upstairs in Sarah’s room, finished reading the story of the resurrection and started walking through what “believing in Jesus” means. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Do you know why Jesus died on the cross?
Caleb: For our sins.
Me: Do you understand what “sin” is?
Caleb: Um…no.
Me: Do you think you ever do, say, or think things that make God not happy?
Caleb: No.
Me: Really?!? Like when you hurt your sisters or say things that are mean or not true…Does that make God happy or unhappy?
Caleb: Oh yeah…unhappy.
Me: Well, God is perfect. He wants to be with us, but since we’re all not perfect, something had to happen to take our sin away. The only way that could happen was for someone to die. Jesus said that He would die so that we wouldn’t have to. Then He rose from the tomb so that we could live with Him forever. Anyone who believes He did this for us can ask Jesus to live in their heart and we tell Him that we’ll live our lives to make Him happy.
Caleb: I want to do that!

And so he did. I prayed. He prayed.

Wahooo! His mother hooted and hugged him. I wish I had a picture of his face when Kari said, “Everyone in heaven is having a party right now because you asked Jesus into your heart.” He beamed. So excited.

Before being tucked into bed, Caleb asked, “What do you think our house is going to be like in heaven?” “I don’t know, Caleb. But I think it’s going to be better than you or I could ever imagine.”

Sort of like this day…

No comments: